P.I. Engineering User Forum

Product Support, Technical Questions and Answers, and Examples for P.I. Engineering Products

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-12-22 07:52:37

Guy H

Using X-keys with Mouse Without Borders

I've connected 1 mouse, 1 keyboard an 2 x-keys keypads on 1 of 2 network linked desktop pc's running windows 7 and Mouse Without Borders.
Using Mouse Without Borders, my mouse can move from one screen to the other on both desktops with individual screens. and my keyboard follows the mouse position.
Also X-keys is also following the mouse/keyboard position. Is it possible to keep this on the connected pc and not follow the position of the mouse/keyboard controlled by Mouse Without Borders?

#2 2016-12-22 09:38:27

PIE Amber
Technical Software Developer
Website

Re: Using X-keys with Mouse Without Borders

We don't have any specific experience with Mouse Without Borders, though I have personally experimented with Synergy which seems very similar.

Unfortunately, I don't think there's anything that can be done to change this behavior, as Mouse Without Borders is overriding the standard behavior and augmenting it. There's no way, on our end, to route input to a specific screen or window without moving the focus too.

X-keys are built, like every keyboard out there, to send to the "in focus" window. Mouse Without Borders is modifying what "focus" means on your systems, so X-keys can only follow.

To be clear, are you in software or hardware mode? I would expect software mode to be harder for Mouse Without Borders to deal with, but I don't know that for sure.

Amber from P.I. Engineering

#3 2017-03-11 10:01:58

exsimdave

Hi,

New X-Keys user here; I'm about to start trialling something similar to the OP, but haven't yet decided on the software to use - Synergy sounds like the way to go, but thought I'd post here before going ahead with anything.

What I'm trying to achieve is to control multiple computers with my 60-key XKey. The main PC I'm controlling is the broadcast machine running vMix, but I'd also like to control additional PCs running other software. My thought is to set up specific hotkey combinations for each extra machine I want to control, then use a macro to enable the machine hotkey + input I need...

For example: PC1 hotkey is Ctrl+Shift - to enter keystroke "LeftArrow" on PC1, macro Ctrl+Shift, LeftArrow, Ctrl+Shift.

Am I deluded in thinking this might be possible???

Thanks for your help.

#4 2017-03-13 08:08:15

PIE Amber
Technical Software Developer
Website

In my experience, hardware mode keystrokes will pass through Synergy. I don't really recommend working in software mode to do this, because then you have many layers of software that could fail. Using hardware mode does prevent any kind of decision structure being implemented, but you could easily use layers to implement your other set of keystrokes.

Amber from P.I. Engineering

#5 2017-03-13 09:14:26

exsimdave

Thanks for the reply Amber, I've got a copy of Synergy and will give this a go in hardware mode - my preferred option anyway as you rightly say the fewer software layers to cause problems, the better!

Cheers,

Dave

Board footer