P.I. Engineering User Forum

Product Support, Technical Questions and Answers, and Examples for P.I. Engineering Products

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-06-15 10:24:36

AlanZ

X-keys oddity with vMix

If (without x-keys) I click on a link for vMix on the desktop, vMix opens... and if it's already open it displays the version number spash screen briefly and then brings the existing instance of vMix to the top.

However, when I try to program an X-keys 24 to do this, if vMix is already open, it loads an new instance of vMix instead of bringing the current instance to the top. I did make sure that vMix is NOT configured for multiple instances.

I want to use this approach instead of programming a key to bring a specific window name to the top because the vMix window title changes with each version release (reflecting the version number)

The reasons I want this functionality is to have a quick way to bring vMix back into focus when another app (perhaps Zoom or a graphics program) has focus, and I want to quickly access my vMix keyboard shortcuts (that are only available when vMix has focus)

Any thoughts on why X-keys is opening a second instance of vMix?

#2 2017-06-15 13:23:17

PIE Amber
Technical Software Developer
Website

Re: X-keys oddity with vMix

Unfortunately it's not very easy to bring a window to front without using the window to front command -- the shortcut command I think you're programming is ONLY capable of opening an instance of vMix. It sounds like it may be bypassing a configuration vMix has to not have multiple instances -- why that would be, I'm not sure, but I wouldn't expect it to just switch to the window even if that were not the case. That's not how the shortcut function behaves.

Amber from P.I. Engineering

#3 2017-06-15 15:56:45

AlanZ

Amber,

Thanks for your feedback.  The curious thing is that (as mentioned) if I use a mouse to click on a desktop shortcut for vMix, I get the behavior I want.

It's X-Keys that is behaving differently for some reason... even if it is linked directly to the shortcut (or directly to the executable).

So, I'm trying to figure out why that is.

#4 2017-06-15 16:12:53

PIE Amber
Website

Hmm. I wonder what's different about the shortcut. Can you right click and "Properties" on the shortcut and see if there's any special configuration there? Maybe a command-line switch after the file location?

#5 2017-06-15 18:11:55

AlanZ

There does not appear to be anything special about the shortcut, it just points to the executable

It appears that x-keys is behaving differently than desktop shortcuts.
I decided to take vMix out of the equation to see how it affects other programs in Windows 10.

For example, I tried it with media player.  If I click on a shortcut for media player with a mouse, it opens normally.  If I then put another window in front of it (e.g., a browser) and click on the shortcut again, the media player is simply brought to front.

However, if I try the same using an x-key button that was created by dragging the shortcut to the button, the results are different.   First press opens normally, but after putting a browser window on top, a second press highlights the icon in the task bar, but does not bring the media player to the top.

So x-keys is apparently inserting some non-standard behaviors.

Do you get similar results?

#6 2017-06-19 16:01:55

PIE Amber
Website

Alan,

Sorry for the delay, I was waiting to get our hands on our vMix machine which was out travelling. We tested and it does do the same on our end here. We did find a workaround though.

On your desktop icon for vMix, right click and choose "Properties." There should be a section that says "Shortcut Key" -- put your mouse in this box and click. Then choose an obscure key combination (Ctrl+Alt+Shift+F10, for example, would be an obscure key combination) and record it there.

Then, record that obscure key combination to the X-keys button.

By executing the *desktop* shortcut you have, instead of launching the .exe, it works around the issue and does bring vMix to front. There's a small delay (2 seconds, in our tests) in bringing it up but it seems to work well.

#7 2017-06-19 16:17:43

AlanZ

Amber,
Thanks for the followup... I will give that a try.

Board footer