P.I. Engineering User Forum

Product Support, Technical Questions and Answers, and Examples for P.I. Engineering Products

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-01-28 12:28:32

andriy.sobol

How to write macro for inactive application window?

Hi,

we are trying to write macros for an application which is running in background. Use Case:
1 User has opened 2 applications e.g. browser and ATEM video switch controller
2 User is working in browser but second user wants to control independently ATEM video switch controller with XKeys 24
How to do it? ATEM video switch controller is inactive.
We were able to control ATEM video switch controller if it is active. But keys do not work if ATEM video switch controller application is in background and is inactive.

Best regards,
Andriy

#2 2017-01-30 09:20:02

PIE Amber
Technical Software Developer
Website

Re: How to write macro for inactive application window?

Keyboard keystrokes cannot control an application that is not in focus, at all. There's no way to route keystrokes to a background application, because of the way the operating system handles keystrokes. If using software that directly integrates with a program (NOT using keystrokes, but using something that took advantage of our SDK) you can send to applications in the background.

We highly recommend using a third-party software called JustMacros to control ATEM, not keyboard keystrokes. More info here: http://xkeys.com/utilization/blackmagicatemmacros.php

Amber from P.I. Engineering

Board footer