P.I. Engineering User Forum

Product Support, Technical Questions and Answers, and Examples for P.I. Engineering Products

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-02-03 11:54:35

Maachewt

X keys shuts down

Periodically, and for no apparent reason, my 16 key, 2 level Xkeys shuts itself down. The only way I have found to reboot it is to reboot the entire computer - very inconvenient. Is there a simpler way?

#2 2017-02-03 12:08:30

PIE Amber
Technical Software Developer
Website

Re: X keys shuts down

This is not a common issue, but it could have several different causes. I have several questions for you so bear with me:

* Is the device "pi3/XK series" (blue backlighting) or an older one with red backlighting? If it has red backlighting is it MWII or SE?
* What operating system are you running?
* Is your device programmed in hardware or software mode?
* Are you using the latest version of our software, if in software mode?
* Is the device plugged directly into your computer, or a hub or extender?

When the device has shut itself down what does it look like, how does it behave?
- Are the lights on?
- Does the software not see it?
- Has the software shut down?
- Run the Device Finder program, while it's not working, included with MacroWorks 3.1 in the Tools menu or from this link: http://xkeys.com/PISupport/SoftwareUtilities.php Does that see your device?

Does unplugging the device and plugging it back in, or restarting MW3.1 by fully exiting it (from the system tray icon) and starting it back up again solve it?

Amber from P.I. Engineering

#3 2017-02-04 08:20:33

Maachewt

Thank you for this detailed examination. Numbering your questions 1 to 10, answers are:-

1* Blue backlighting.

2* Windows 7 Home Premium.

3* Software Mode.

4* I am unable to say if it is the latest version software, but it is 1.1.1.84. The unit was built 22nd June 2016, installed by me in the UK 7th August 2016. It has been behaving this way since installation.

5* Plugged directly into the computer.

6- When shut down, backlights not on, layer indicator lights (green/red) not on.

7- No software sees it as far as I can tell.

8- The software appears to be shut down. No keys respond.

9- Running the Device Finder program brings up blank boxes. It is not seeing the device.

10  Unplugging the device and plugging it back in does not restart it. Attempting to re-start from MW3.1 does not re-start it.

Observation: When it has shut down, if I leave the computer alone long enough to enter "sleep" or "power down" mode i.e. blank screen, when re-activating by mouse/keyboard activity, the Xkey then re-starts normally.

#4 2017-02-06 09:36:06

PIE Amber
Technical Software Developer
Website

You do need to update your software. We are on a newer version. http://piengineering.com/PISupport/Soft … oWorks.php

That said, I think your issue is most likely USB selective suspend. Basically, Windows likes to turn off USB ports sometimes. It's not the device, but the port on your computer. Here is a guide to turning that "feature" of Windows off: https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1 … n-off.html

Amber from P.I. Engineering

#5 2017-08-17 06:11:16

Zorg

I have the same problem! I work freelance as an essay helper for one company, and it's very inconvenient to reboot the computer. I think the reason for this is that I'm working with an outdated version of the software. I'll try to install a new version, I hope this solves my problem.

#6 2017-08-17 06:18:30

iamnookie

Zorg wrote:

I have the same problem! I work freelance as an essay helper for one company, and it's very inconvenient to reboot the computer. I think the reason for this is that I'm working with an outdated version of the software. I'll try to install a new version, I hope this solves my problem.

Yes, you're right. Basically, updating of the software solve this problems.

Board footer