P.I. Engineering User Forum

Product Support, Technical Questions and Answers, and Examples for P.I. Engineering Products

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-03-21 12:10:28

thegrindre

Steam support for 1800's steam

Hi all,
I've always wanted one of these RailDrivers and am on the verge of buying one but I have been told time and time again it isn't made for steam locos. WHY? All I do is about 95% steam of the 1800's. Is there some reason why steam isn't supported? Can I make it work somehow?

Thank you,

Rick

#2 2017-03-21 13:07:02

PIE Amber
Technical Software Developer
Website

Re: Steam support for 1800's steam

Hi Rick, first of all which simulator do you want to use?

The RailDriver doesn't work with steam locos in Trainz '09 through 12. It works in earlier versions, and those that are particularly clever can make it work with specific trains (there's a guide on the Auran forums here http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthre … e-Problem).

There is no problem using steam locos if you are using Train Simulator 2017, though certain specific trains may not work. Other sims, I don't see any reason they wouldn't work...

Amber from P.I. Engineering

#3 2017-03-21 22:52:41

thegrindre

Hi,
Sorry, I'm still running Win XP Pro w/SP3 and MSTS. I've dabbled around with ORTS but that's still under development and not fully operational as of yet.
I understand this control is programmable and or can be scripted or something like that. Is there somewhere I can obtain scripts to do various tasks? Like run steam?

Thank You,
Rick

#4 2017-03-22 09:17:20

PIE Amber
Website

I think one thing needs to be clarified: the support level for RailDriver with every simulator is different. Information about Trainz does not at all apply to MSTS, neither does information about Train Simulator 2017. Something being true for one sim is not ever going to be true for another. I think you've heard different things about the RailDriver which are true with some sims, but most don't apply to your sim.

The support for MSTS does not include scripts -- that's Train Simulator 2017 only.

However, there's no issue as far as I know with using steam trains on MSTS with the RailDriver. In the RDCabmaker, which is installed when you install the RailDriver for MSTS, you can choose "Steam" as an option.

Please note that if you upgrade from Windows XP your RailDriver will not work with MSTS anymore; it won't be updated to work with newer operating systems.

#5 2017-03-23 12:23:38

thegrindre

Thanks, Amber, but I'm only interested in Win XP Pro and MSTS. I have no internet connection to play the other sims. My gaming PC is off line and I'm at the local library to access the internet and correspond with you.
Am I going to need the internet for installing the updated software for the RailDriver?

Last edited by thegrindre (2017-03-23 12:24:34)

#6 2017-03-23 13:05:05

PIE Amber
Website

Hi,

Good news is that the software to use it with MSTS won't be updated anytime in the future, so once it's installed you don't need to worry about it. However, the RailDriver no longer ships with any software. You will need to have the internet in order to get the software initially. It can be downloaded from our website here: http://raildriver.com/support/msts.php I would suggest using a flash drive in order to carry it home.

#7 2017-03-24 05:52:27

thegrindre

Hi Amber,
That's what I needed to know. No problem with a memory drive, I have two portable hard drives as well. I was hoping that the software was self sufficient and didn't need the net to use it.

OK, I'm sold. I'll be buying one shortly.

Many thanks,
Rick

Board footer