P.I. Engineering User Forum

Product Support, Technical Questions and Answers, and Examples for P.I. Engineering Products

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-07-31 11:53:40

Jon Buck

Need help setting Rail Driver up w/ MSTS.

Returning to MSTS after a long absence. Once had RD working some years back but this is a different computer and I'm having no luck gettting MSTS to recognize the Rail Driver.   On this computer the O.S. is Windows 7: MSTS v1.4 and my old Rail Driver manager v1.2.2.4.

Folllowed the original installation steps. Cptr seems to recognize RD. Calibrated as instructed, RD lights up with red 'rd' letters when plugged into USB outlet.  But,  MSTS just doesn't recognize RD.   I can operate with the keyboard as usual , but Rail Driver, even though all seems to be normal, isn't properly connected. It just sits there, waiting, like it needs me to do something else...but I do't know what that something should be!

Realize time has passed. Lots of changes have transpired in the meantime and I'm behind. Since I'm using Windows 7, is there some other step that I'm missing?   Sure would appreciate some help as this RD is also an old model, but practically brand new, and I'd like to get some use out of it.

JonB

PS I also get an error msg that says. "can't find PIBus.Sys."   Is that what is holding things up??

Last edited by Jon Buck (2016-07-31 12:10:15)

#2 2016-08-01 08:35:31

PIE Amber
Technical Software Developer
Website

Re: Need help setting Rail Driver up w/ MSTS.

Hi Jon,

I apologize for the confusion. Unfortunately, the RailDriver is not supported with MSTS on Windows 7. Please see here for more information: http://raildriver.com/support/mstsOpenRails.php

We recommend either using Open Rails (which allows you to use your old MSTS assets) or checking out one of the modern train simulators, such as Train Simulator 2016 by Dovetail Games.

Amber from P.I. Engineering

#3 2016-08-01 16:18:51

Jon Buck

Well I guess that explains it, then...no luck with Windows 7.  Was not aware of that.   

Thanks for the response.  I'll have a look at Open Rails as I have some other old simulator programs which don't operate well on the newer Windows versions and I just don't want to give them up to forced obsolescence!

One last question if I may. Do I have to reinstall RD or do something different in order for Open Rails to recognize the Rail Driver software?  Or are your original installation instructions still good? 

Thanks for the help.

JonB

#4 2016-08-02 08:17:54

PIE Amber
Technical Software Developer
Website

Open Rails "directly implements" the RailDriver (meaning our software won't be running it, the sim has embedded support instead). I believe it does use the calibration you created previously, though.

They say on their website: "Instructions for setting up RailDriver for Open Rails are included in the Installation Manual that is included with the Open Rails Installer." So that document should help guide you through it.

Amber from P.I. Engineering

#5 2016-08-04 22:54:55

Jon Buck

I'll give that a try. Once again...thanks for your help.

JonB

Board footer