P.I. Engineering User Forum

Product Support, Technical Questions and Answers, and Examples for P.I. Engineering Products

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-04-24 05:53:00

GordR

MacroWorks not starting up at boot up

This is for a Windows 7 system on a TriCaster 850.
The TriCaster 850 boots up but right into the TriCaster interface.  The X-Keys 128 unit lights up with all keycaps turning Red, but not Blue, which seems to indicate a unsuccessful MacroWorks software launch.

I exit TriCaster UI and go to WindowsOS desktop to find MacroWorks NOT running even though it is Startup folder.  I manually execute MacroWorks software while in the Windows desktop but the X-Keys hardware is still unresponsive, (all lights stay red).  I have to unplug and replug the USB cable in order to get it to wake up. 

Any suggestions on getting this working at boot up?

#2 2017-04-24 07:34:54

PIE Amber
Technical Software Developer
Website

Re: MacroWorks not starting up at boot up

If MacroWorks 3.1 is set to "run as administrator" (which can be required, depending on what you're doing) Windows will not allow it to start up at boot up. This is likely what is happening. The option there is to not run it as administrator (can cause macros not to work with some programs) or to manually start it up.

TriCaster can be blocking it from booting up, too, in which case I don't have a lot of suggestion there.

It should work when you manually start MacroWorks, though. The lights are not an indication of responsiveness. Have you tested opening the GUI, pushing the buttons, etc.?

Amber from P.I. Engineering

#3 2017-04-24 19:35:26

GordR

Hi Amber;
  Thank you for the quick response.  I'm very busy this week but I'll check those setting this coming weekend.  I'll also post on NewTek's forum to see what other TriCaster users are doing.  I'll let you know if I find something that works.

Yes, I have tested the responsiveness of the unit and it is flatlining.  :)

Yes, once I unplug the X-Keys USB cable from the computer and plug it back in, restart the software, everything works.  But that is not a very good option for us, but could be made to work until the USB port wears out or the USB plug on X-Keys wears out from unplugging and plugging back in.

#4 2017-04-25 07:33:49

PIE Amber
Website

Can you tell me more about the computer this is on? It sounds like, on boot up, the X-keys is not being fully initialized. This may be incidental to MW3.1 not starting, as I don't think they're related. Is it plugged directly in, or through a hub? If a hub, is it externally powered?

#5 2017-05-01 14:42:40

GordR

It is plugged in directly into one of the back USB ports on TriCaster 850.

Windows7 64bit OS I7Core.

The MW3.1, (MacroWorks 3 runtime), is not running as an administrator, (Properties-Compatibility-Privilege Level; "Run as admin..." is NOT checked).

Once the TriCaster 850 boots up, the MacroKeys remain all RED and unresponsive.  I exit back to Windows Desktop from the TriCaster Interface and check the bottom right "running tasks/processes" popup window - no icon for MW3.1 listed.

Manually starting the MW3.1 software, attempts to run but after a few seconds, exists still with no MW3.1 task started.

I have to unplug the X-Keys hardware and plug it back in and then, without doing anything else, it starts up with all keys RED then BLUE and the unit is functioning fully.

#6 2017-05-01 15:16:10

PIE Amber
Website

MW3.1 and the software not working are still, most likely, different issues. The device not working wouldn't prevent MW3.1 from starting, and MW3.1 not starting wouldn't prevent the device from working after it's started. So let's discuss them as separate issues.

About startup: So from what I understand NewTek does doesn't recommend running third-party software on the TriCaster. They could be actively preventing MW3.1 from starting up with a setting in the OS. I don't know this for sure but it's worth finding out; NewTek may be able to help. I would just directly ask if they have anything that prevents apps from starting up at boot.

The other thing is that NewTek has directly integrated many X-keys into their software (so MW3.1 isn't required). If you can, I highly recommend working within the tools they have already. Is there something preventing using their direct integration?

For the device itself not working: While it's in the state of not working -- before MW3.1 is opened -- can you go to C:\Program Files (x86)\MacroWorks 3.1\ and run the "Device Finder" there? Does it "see" your device at all? If not, then it's an issue with the USB ports/power most likely. You may want to try using a powered hub between it -- it could be an issue with the USB ports and how they power cycle on the TriCaster. A powered hub in between could mitigate the issue.

#7 2017-05-01 17:28:21

GordR

Thanks for your reply.
Very interesting that NewTek has directly integrated X-Keys into their software, (on later models that have Advanced Edition).  Unfortunetly for me that is not available for the TC850 model TriCaster.  However, this is fortunate for PIE as once I get this working I will make it available to other TC850 uses which may help sell some more X-Keys128 units.

The easiest solution for me is to get a small power bar and plug the X-Keys hardware into that and then just cycle the power once the TC boots up.  Future models of the X-Keys should have a power switch right on them so we don't need to have a power bar mounted on our desktop or be crawling under the table when we want it turned on!  (I might see if I can still find one of the old RF controlled remote wall outlet power switches.)

#8 2017-05-05 18:41:13

GordR

LOL, I was thinking that the X-Keys hardware used an external power supply when I posted the last message.  NOPE, it gets it's power from the USB port it's plugged into.  So now I will have to get an external powered USB hub and try that.

#9 2017-05-08 08:24:43

PIE Amber
Website

An externally powered hub is usually the best bet if power issues are a possibility. Please let me know how it goes.

Board footer