P.I. Engineering User Forum

Product Support, Technical Questions and Answers, and Examples for P.I. Engineering Products

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-08-26 04:09:30

ch1nawhyte

really no one else has device not found? can't get to step 0.

Hi everyone, I am surprised that i can't get my XK-24 to be recognized.

tried various combinations of OS and software, but the farthest i got was on a buddies win 10 x64, the device finder can recognize the pad, but neither the basic nor macroworks actually recognizes it.  am i missing something major?

I know the docs state dotnet 3.5.1 is required, but will having a higher version break it? do i need to uninstall 4.x?

also, its not clear to me if the basic program requires dotnet or not, can anyone clarify that?

Ive tried win7 pro x32, no luck. seems to me that there must be something wrong with my environment. are there any gotchas, or knows quirks with getting the programming software to work?

any help, even shots in the dark, random unsubstantiated guesses, unproven hypothesis will be appreciated!

cheers!

#2 2016-08-26 08:58:47

PIE Amber
Technical Software Developer
Website

Re: really no one else has device not found? can't get to step 0.

Can you share a screenshot from your Device Finder? This will usually show us something useful in figuring out why it won't be detected in MacroWorks 3.1.

Reasons off the top of my head that a device could fail to be detected:

* MacroWorks 3.1 doesn't have the folder for the device installed in C:\Users\Program Files (x86)\MacroWorks 3.1\Devices
* It's a KVM version that's not in "programming" mode
* It has a Unit ID of 255, which causes MacroWorks 3.1 to ignore it
* It's a remote environment, virtualization, or some other case where the device isn't being plugged into the same physical machine running the software.

Amber from P.I. Engineering

#3 2016-08-31 01:23:06

ch1nawhyte

Thanks for the response Amber! I think you've hit the nail right on the head, but I have some more info about the situation.
not sure how you attach a screenshot so i hope this is allowed in the post https://snag.gy/lSuGpx.jpg
apologies, but i tried to layer some windows so you could see relevant system info.

One thing worth mentioning is that this particular system is virtualized, I have passed thru USB device successfully here at least to the point where windows can see it. this has worked transparently for other devices (phone, virtual serial port dev, etc) So if that completely makes it unsupportable then I apologize and will have to try to borrow someone's bare metal win/mac.

However, I also have to say that I attempted setup ona friends win10 (non-virtual) and got the same result- device finder sees it, but neither MW nor basic setup can find it.

So that begs a couple more questions that i havent seen answers too:

-can MW and basic setup coexist or is it 1 or the other?
-does basic setup require .net  framework?
-whats the difference between KVM and non KVM? 

thanks

#4 2016-08-31 01:32:31

ch1nawhyte

ok nm i posted before thinking, but it helped me to realize what i had overlooked -

the issue was the KVM mode, remedied by following the instructions here (rtfm)
   http://xkeys.com/assets/manuals/KVM%20Manual%201347.pdf

once in programming mode, both MW and basic setup work fine to program the keypad! and in virtual windoze!
sweet! 
thanks again, i will try remember not to over troubleshoot before rtfm!

#5 2016-08-31 07:53:46

PIE Amber
Technical Software Developer
Website

Hah! Awesome. We're glad to see it is sorted now. To answer your previous questions, though:

-can MW and basic setup coexist or is it 1 or the other?
Yes, they can coexist just fine. Here in tech support land we typically have both with no issue.

-does basic setup require .net  framework?
Yes, it does.

-whats the difference between KVM and non KVM?
KVM version when not in programming mode is a pure keyboard. The reason for this is a lot of KVMs (even so-called smart ones) are incapable of handling the full USB spec.

Our standard devices always declare themselves to be at least 3 different types of devices (keyboard, mouse, game controller -- for example), which means a lot of KVMs don't know how to handle them properly and end up blocking all input. The symptom would be that the keystrokes programmed just don't work through the KVM.

With the KVM-specific version it is pared to ensure it works on these types of systems.

Amber from P.I. Engineering

Board footer