P.I. Engineering User Forum

Product Support, Technical Questions and Answers, and Examples for P.I. Engineering Products

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-04-22 10:55:50

bitpod

Control backlights via VB.net

I am running vMix and using it's VB.net scripting facility. Although I am successfully using the activators to control some of the backlights, it is limiting and only works for preset situations.

Is it possible to control the lights via VB.net scripting? If so can anybody point me to any examples or other useful resources?

Alex

#2 2017-04-24 07:44:08

PIE Amber
Technical Software Developer
Website

Re: Control backlights via VB.net

I can't help with vMix's scripting. Your best bet is to look into their documentation and see if they allow it. The device can be controlled through VB.NET, absolutely, but that does not necessarily extend to their scripting system.

If not, your second best bet is to control the backlighting with MacroWorks 3.1. There's a few topics here that cover it as well as some tutorials within MacroWorks 3.1's Advance Help file.

The other option is to write your own custom program using our SDK/dll and the provided VB.net sample to go along with it. It may be overkill to go to that length, though.

Amber from P.I. Engineering

#3 2017-04-24 09:11:20

bitpod

Thanks,

Do you have any examples of how the lights can be controlled via VB.net. Running scripts in vMix is simple enough but I don't know how to access the X-keys device.

#4 2017-04-24 09:17:31

PIE Amber
Website

Unless they have integrated it in (included this in their system), you may not be able to do it from vMix. You need to call our dll, which may or may not be difficult through their system. We have no examples of this and cannot offer assistance. You need to talk to vMix if it involves their scripting system and you have issues.

On our end, you should probably start by downloading our SDK, which explains our messages. http://piengineering.com/PISupport/Deve … owsSDK.php But we can only support our SDK/dll in a desktop application of your own, and make no guarantees that you can use this directly from vMix.

#5 2017-05-30 05:02:17

megan704
Website

This is the same issue that I have seen many times on Visual Studio while developing X-keys device but as a professional developer, I got find a solution. by using VB.net you can create your own scripts to control lights.

#6 2017-06-05 10:52:47

PIE Amber
Website

Megan, can you clarify the issue you are having? You should have 100% full control of a device if you are using Visual Studio to work with it and not trying to integrate into third party software.

Board footer